Money makes the world go round: A blog about the business and culture of all things entertaining in the world of theater, television, film, music, art, gadgets, gizmos and other life necessities (and probably other things, knowing myself)

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Summer of "cold" Movies

A report for the summer’s box office revenues has been published and the numbers aren’t looking so hot – actually they’re looking pretty much the opposite of hot.

With budgets for the summer blockbusters hitting a record high, Hollywood assumed the same could be anticipated for its theatrical revenues.

Wrong.

Ticket sales have hit a record low - the lowest number of actual movie tickets sold since 1993, according to a report by Hollywood.com.

So where were the movie-goers this summer?

I blame it on the inflation of ticket prices since it is now a luxury for me  – and most of my close friends – to plan a trip to the movie theatre. For at least $10 bucks a flick (plus popcorn and soda expenses), the experience I get for my hard earned dollars doesn't seem to quite match up so well. Thus, I am rarely satisfied.

The summer of 2010 produced seven 3D movies; I saw one of them: “Shrek Forever After.” In my opinion, the final installment of the series was decent, but not worth the extra bucks I paid to see it in 3D.

Then there was “Sex in the City 2,” which lacked a storyline, and "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse," which only made me angry.

So again, where were all the movie-goers?

Well, I guess we’re really tired of poorly written scripts and soaring ticket prices. The next time I visit the theatre, I'll first log onto facebook and twitter to seek any updates on the movie of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment