Money makes the world go round: A blog about the business and culture of all things entertaining in the world of theater, television, film, music, art, gadgets, gizmos and other life necessities (and probably other things, knowing myself)

Monday, September 13, 2010

New gadgets. New gizmos. Ancient televisions.

Depsite how flat Samsung or Sony is making those screens these days, I will not be tricked into judging the television set by its new plasma appearance.

If you’ve been hibernating under a rock, let me catch you up to speed: the Golden Age for television has passed. If you want images of hour-long shows that captivated entire families or news broadcasted to a wholeheartedly trusting public, then watch an American film from the ‘50s.

As a product of my society, I don’t even remember the last time I watched television from…well, a television set. Who has the time to run home and catch the live airing of a show?

Thank goodness for the other mediums that we actually use or how else could I catch the finale of the Emmy-winning comedy series Modern Family or find out who the mother ISN’T in How I Met Your Mother? And if I’m really behind on my schedule, I can always watch the episodes weeks later on hulu.com.

With more people flocking to watch their favorite shows online, networks are coming up with new alternatives to staying financially afloat in a bleak economic era for television. A NYT article reports how media companies, such as CBS and Comcast, have agreed on a new deal that will restrict internet access of full episodes to people who have not paid for cable or satellite services.

But in our modern society, will this soothe out the financial distress of major television networks? Similar to the business of newspapers, the business of television networks will have to stay continuously innovative to be anywhere near the top of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment